Tuesday, June 25, 2013

So Much To Do...

Hello again and happy Tuesday, world of slicers! It's been a while. I really do value this community of writers and I miss it when I skip a week or two or twenty.

The past couple of days have been more relaxed, lazy kinds of days. And to feel better about myself, I need to be more productive. I just have to. That has seemed to translate into me watching a movie on Netflix, blogging, clearing off my desk, unpacking my suitcase from my big East Coast trip, doing some laundry, and maybe heading to the park with a book. Only a couple of these things have already come to pass, and I'm not going to tell you which ones.

I guess the conundrum I'm facing now that school is out for the summer and I'm back from my trip is the fact that I have SO many ways (all great ways too) I could spend the rest of my time this summer  and no clue how to efficiently and effectively use that time. How can I balance all of the planning, reading, crafting, adventuring, cleaning, exercising, and socializing I want to do? It's all great. But how do I decide which are the more important items I should place on my days' dockets?

The second part of this conundrum is that I also don't want to feel like I'm so incredibly busy like I do during the school year. The glorious feeling of having more freedom with how to spend my days is something I've been waiting for and it's finally arrived! But how do I keep that freedom (staying away from feeling overwhelmingly "busy") while still accomplishing all I want to do?

Summer will quickly come and go. Like a flash on a camera. I just want to make sure that whatever lasting picture that flash helped to capture is expressive, inspired, and gratifying.

5 comments:

  1. The eternal summer problem. We LOVE school break for the time to rejuvenate and be inspired, but we also want to do the work needed to try out all those great ideas when school starts up again. Balance isn't easy. My advice: take a few days dedicated to sleeping late, reading purely for pleasure, and eating out with friends. Then, make yourself a schedule to tackle what's most important and meaningful. It helps if you allow yourself to be lured away from projects by an invitation to the beach every now and then. Ultimately, just agree not to beat yourself up in August when only a few things were accomplished. If you are like most teachers I know, you expect to get way too much accomplished in what is really a short amount of time.
    Be well and rest up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic advice! I'll definitely keep these words in mind. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Make a list and look at it to decide what you choose to do each day or week. That may help remind you of tasks that can be accomplished quickly. I also agree with what Laura said. Enjoy your time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like this topic is a major theme this week! I'm with you when it comes to trying to cram in so much in what is really a short amount of time. I have had to stop looking ahead to what I have planned for the rest of the summer and take it day-by-day, sometimes hour-by-hour and relish the time I have and what I choose to do with it (mainly play with my baby boy!) because when I think ahead, summer just melts away and it's time to go back to school. We really never get a vacation, do we?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You already have received good advice from others. I'll just add a bit. The beauty of summer is that there isn't anything on the list that is "must do" (like writing report cards at school, you can't escape that), it's all optional, so no matter what you choose to do or not to do, can be enjoyable. You will find many days to capture on your summer mosaic.

    ReplyDelete