Monday, March 2, 2009

The Student Saga: Pink Cheek Moments


Last week I was apparently out to discover how many times one person can become embarrassed in a single day, whether I knew it at the time or not.
Embarrassment is bound to happen to everyone. It’s the inescapable enigma that leads us to an awkward happening and subjects us to the scrutiny of those nearby; however, I was under the impression that moments like these were few and far between. For the most part, I guess they are, but that generalization did not hold true for me.
The day started off like any other Thursday. I had been sitting through an enriching economics lecture, but when it came time to leave I had my first glimpse of what the rest of my day would entail.
Maybe it’s what I get for calling the lecture “enriching,” but I opened the classroom door right into a guy coming from the other direction. It wouldn’t have been a problem if he hadn’t have given me a nasty look and stormed off followed by the giggle fits from the girls behind me that I had to endure all the way out the building.
Okay, no big deal. That was just something that happens once in a while, right? Wrong. Within the next fifteen minutes I had an awkward encounter with a cute boy, a full-blown hair episode (and I mean fully windblown), and a misspoken phrase that left me looking like I should be back in elementary school instead of in college.
Things only got worse as the day continued and by the time all was said and done, I counted eight situations leaving me with pink cheeks and a wish to disappear.
I don't want to go into too much detail, so that I can at least retain some dignity. However, I will say that I did gesture my hands a little too excitedly hitting someone in the process, have a chair I was sitting in (in the midst of 300 people, mind you) make a humiliating noise, and my brain couldn't even stop my mouth from allowing this horrible "whoo, whoo" yell to escape very loudly in the middle of the Cougareat. (That one's a long story, but by far my favorite)
I’m not sure if that day conflicted with the laws of physics in any way, but I personally think something was awry with nature. There’s no other explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment